There are are a lot rumor’s around the Internet, that might discontinues the Mac product line. Most rumor’s says, that the Mac will be phased out and will be replaced by powerful new iPad’s.

Most of these rumor’s are driven by the latest iPad Pro commercial, where a girl with iPad Pro is asking “What’s a computer?” at the end.

But what if Apple decides to discontinue the Mac product line? A question I can answer for myself very easy and quickly: The iPad (Pro) is great, but it will never replace my computer! And I know a lot of companies that see it the same way. In my case a lot of development stuff and virtualisation is a point that will keep me using a computer, for many companies I know Applications are a key asset.
Agencies or web developers (both heavy mac users) need powerful applications, like Adobes creative cloud products. I agree: There are iOS versions of some, but no way to replace the full blown desktop version of them!

Read More

Apple Released Security Update 2017-001 and that might cause Issues with File Sharing

Alle was very quick with the Patch for the “Blank Root Password Issue“! Some User reported that this Security Update introduces a new Issue: File sharing Problems!

Apple acknowledged the problem and was quick again: Apple released a support document with a guidance.

Here is the procedure that Apple provided:

  1. Open ‘Terminal’ or ‘iTerm2’
  2. Type sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC
  3. Authenticate with your Admin password

Many blames Apple for the bad experience now! To be fair: Apple was very quick with the Release of the Fix! If you push such a patch to production, this is what can happen!

But, the overall quality of Apple’s Software sucks! The latest iOS Releases caused a lot of issues. MacOS High Sierra was OK, but it also caused some issues.

Change root password on macOS

A vulnerability within MacOS High Sierra was discoverd: It allowes logins and/or changes to critical Settings with the Superuser (root) without a password.
I’m sure that Apple is already working on a permanent fix for that, until then you should safe your Mac!

Howto fix the macOS blank root password Security issue?

  1. Open ‘Terminal’ or ‘iTerm2’
  2. Type ‘sudo passwd root’
  3. Type your (User) password
  4. Select a strong password for root (and repeat it)

Read More

The PowerShell Team released the v6.0.0-rc version of PowerShell 6 Core.
The Release notes sounds interesting and PowerShell Core is a cross-platform (Windows, Linux, and macOS) experience. Read More

In the past I didn’t post a lot of code here and used the great embedded JavaScript feature of Github to use Gist’s directly here.
I still like that feature, but I also found some issues with that approach. For example: AMP didn’t display and external JavaScript by default. So I decided to post the code local again and just display a link to the Gist behind it.

The WordPress native Code function didn’t work a expected, and most of the Plugins are complex and bring a lot of functions that I didn’t like. So I started to create my own Visual Studio Code (the editor of m choice) extension that could do that for me. As soon as the first (very crappy) alpha version was ready, a friend told me: “Great idea, but why the hell not use“.

After a quick look at descided, to stop the extension experiment, because is awesome. In the last few days I started to update, most of the old posts and embedded Gists are replaced by embedded code fragments.